Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Job Update...

For those who've been reading my blog for a while here is the latest update even though most of my readers already know but I thought I'd post something about it anyways...

When I arrived to Syria on Oct 11th, I'll admit I was 100% nervous about the whole move and the job that I'd be starting with New Interactive Studio. NIS is a Post Production company that deals with dubbing sound onto video or film. Meaning, they do the SFX (Sounds Effects), ambiance and sometimes music creation for TV shows, cartoons, video games, commercials etc...

So 2 days after my arrival to Syria I called them up to fix up a final meet up before I start working for them. On the 15th, I officially started training with them and I'm still training till this day. This training phase should take no more than a month. It all depends on my performance. I do have some experience with all that since sound design was part of my Audio Engineering major. Even so, I was pretty slow with the first test project they gave me. I never really worked with cartoons before. I took it as a challenge and I wanted to do a really good job. In the end after 11 hours of work I ended to up with decent according to them. So now they wanted to give me something more realistic. They are going to give me 3 mins of Abu Zaid Al Hilali episode to add some SFX. I thought that's sooooo cool. I've seen a couple episodes of it and it was pretty exciting... I believe this would be easier because I have a good idea how this needs to sound like. I'm looking forward to it...

I was suppose to work on it today but they were doing some renovation in the studio and I couldn't really do any work. I just wish they called me up. I would've continued with seriously needed sleep. Well, they told me next time I should call before I come. I thought that was pretty weird. I call in to see if I can work that day or not. I don't know what to think of that, honestly.

It's been almost a month without pay since it's only training... It's driving me up the wall. I feel stuck. I want to officially be working at least as a freelancer. The deal was this. I first train for no money for about a month then, I'll work as freelancer for a few months then if they like what I'm doing, they'll hire me and I'll get the monthly salary. Everybody ask me how is work doing and I keep telling them the same thing again and again. "I'm still training and being at the first stage is the most annoying because I don't really feel it's a real job." Sooner or later it'll happen though. I'm holding my breath.

One thing that does concern me is this... Syria is going through a rough issue with the Mehlis report and what the US is asking of her. I'm worried that things might go out of hand and the US will come and start serious trouble in Syria then I'd have to flee back to the UAE. It'll be the second time that the US's foreign policy would've seriously ruined my plans for my future. I need that job for experience because in Dubai most won't hire unless I have some sort of experience.

All I can say is this... May this land be protected and may the people in charge be wise enough to keep Syria safe. I'll admit, I do have faith that everything will be fine. Inshallah all will be...

No comments: