Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Globalization


What is actually meant by globalization? The word is related to Global that according to Merriam-Webster dictionary means of, relating to, or involving the entire world. What about globalization exactly? This is what it had to say, the act or process of globalizing : the state of being globalized; especially : the development of an increasingly integrated global economy marked especially by free trade, free flow of capital, and the tapping of cheaper foreign labor markets.

The idea of globalization is great when it brings cultures closer but not if kills the identity of your own society or culture completely. That makes me neither 100% against it or 100% with it. I believe it depends on the which aspect of globalization we're talking about.

I grew up in the East and spent a good portion of my adult life in the West. I see good and bad things in both cultures and I all I can say is if we take the best of both worlds, it'll be utopian. I think I'm against the idea of forced globalization, the same idea of forced "American" democracy in the Middle East. I'm sincerely against that. We'd rather work on a true democracy that really benefits the citizens of the Middle East rather than the Bush's Administration and Israel's ethnic cleansing policy ...

When it comes to economic and social aspects, I think when we can search for similarities instead of differences, that's when the world would be a happier place.

As Allah (SWT) says:

"O mankind! Behold, We have created you all out of a male and a female, and have made you into nations and tribes, so that you might come to know one another. Verily, the noblest of you in the sight of God is the one who is most deeply conscious of Him. Behold, God is all knowing, all aware"
(Al Qur'an, Al Hujurat 49:13)

With this said, I believe we should get closer and learn more about one another without disregarding our own identity. Another thing I seriously disagree with is ridiculous man made traditions. I'm against holding on to that with our life and souls. Yes we, Muslims, should stick to we are told by the Qur'an (from God) and Sunnah (from the Prophet(PBUH)). I believe our Creator knows best of how we should live and that's the identity we should stick with. Same goes for Christians and people of other faiths. If people of all faiths truly got to learn, understand and follow what their Holy Books have to say to and about humanity, globalization wouldn't be an issue. It'll be a peaceful and eye opening experience.

The reason I didn't say much about the business aspect of it, because I still haven't decided what I truly feel about it. I need to learn more about that.

No comments: